The most affordable tester for copper LAN cabling certification
Certify up to 10 Gbit/sec cabling in a few seconds
Fully upgradable to WireXpert 500-PLUS for CAT 6A copper and fiber tier 1 certification and WireXpert 4500 with Category 8 Performance and fiber tier 1 certification.
WireXpert 500 is an affordable and upgradable cable certification tester that can grow with your cable certification needs. Invest today only in options that are really needed and upgrade the device later when necessary. Options are available for just copper cable certification up to CAT 6A/Class EA, a fiber optic multimode and singlemode tier 1 certification tester and a combined copper and fiber certification tester. The individual options can be upgraded with a license. For example: If today you install copper and in the future require additional fiber cabling installations, you could then upgrade your WireXpert 500 copper certifier to a WireXpert 500-PLUS, a copper and fiber certifier. If you need in the future certification up to CAT 8, all models can be upgraded to that frequency range as well.
- Advanced cable certification up to 500 MHz
- Certifying according to standards Class D/E/EA & CAT 5e/6/6A
- Superfast Autotest time of 9 seconds
- Meets TIA and ISO Level IIIe accuracy requirements
- Certification testing of Patch-cords
- Industrial Ethernet testing with M12 connectivity
- Advanced reporting and documentation
- Most affordable certifier for premise cabling and Industrial Ethernet
- Easy to use and Ruggedized design
WireXpert 500 comes with an intuitive touch sensitive user interface, featuring bright color LCD screens designed for industrial, heavy duty usage. The Dual Control System (DCS TM) – featuring identical devices for remote and main unit – makes it fast and simple to operate the test cycles. Whether used by two technicians or one person working alone, walking time between outlets is minimized.
- Fast and simple for highest productivity
WireXpert 500 completes CAT 6A certification test in seconds. It offers intuitive navigation through the on screen menus, and generates professional reports through the accompanying eXport PC software.
- Proven Accuracy
WireXpert 500 is based on measurement system independently verified by highly respected test laboratories including ETL.
- Copper patch cord testing with WireXpert
WireXpert 500 offers an efficient way for quickly identifying and recording the performance of patch cords. With its fast and accurate dual-ended testing, WireXpert 500 patch cord test kits are suitable for both manufacturing test applications, as well as for incoming inventory inspection at end user premises.
WireXpert 500 patch cord test kits are available for testing CAT 5e, CAT 6, and CAT 6A patch cords.
- Industrial Ethernet cabling test
The WireXpert 500 industrial Ethernet cable test solution comprise of M12 adapter kits. With both channel and permanent link configurations and E2E using M12 industrial Ethernet connectors are supported. Industrial Ethernet kits supporting X-Coded M12 interface are also available, making it possible to effectively test 10-Gig ready Industrial Ethernet cables.
- Coax cable test
WireXpert 500 also supports testing of coaxial cables for attenuation, length, resistance, delay and return loss with the optional coax test adapters.
- Professional Data Management with eXport Software
WireXpert 500 includes eXport computer-based reporting software. eXport facilitates data management and generation of professional reports and warranty documents. In addition, eXport Software enables list-based testing, a hierarchical cable labeling scheme. With eXport it is also possible to correct measurements which were initially performed with incorrect measurement standards. With re-certification, the operator can apply the right measurement standards to the data retroactively. Data integrity remains because the date of the measurements does not change.
All sets come with 2 power supplies, 2 headsets, a quick start guide,
a 4 GB USB-Stick with software and manuals, and a soft carrying case (hard case optional).
WireXpert 500 (Copper)
- 1 Local & 1 Remote unit with 500 MHz copper test license
- 2 CAT 6A Link adapters including cables
- 2 CAT 6A Channel adapters
Minimum System Requirements for Reporting Software
Yes, starting with software revision 7.4, Softing offers upgrades also for existing WireXpert 500 copper testers to add fiber tier 1 certification.
First of all, there are different classes of fiber testers. The WireXpert 500 fiber only certifiers are full tier1 certifiers with traceable accuracy, complying to international standards doing bidirectional attenuation AND length test on duplex fibers on 2 wavelengths. This class of testers cannot be compared with cheap powermeter & light source devices found in the internet that only run an attenuation test on a simplex fiber in one direction only and also cannot perform length testing. Additionally, the WireXpert 500 fiber certifiers come “copper ready” and can be expanded to a full copper & fiber certifier when needed.
500MHz copper and fiber test licenses can be installed by the user using a license key.
For the 2500MHz copper test upgrade, users must return their unit to a service center for new factory calibration. The factory calibration is included in the upgrade price.
When no fiber optic module is attached during boot up, the fiber only certifier does not “know” which kind of fiber optic certifier it really is, MM, SM or MPO.
Softing therefore decided to show the license menu to remind users that only the fiber test license is installed on that device.
The talkset feature is enabled from version 4.5.1, please check your software version and update to the latest software version, if appropriate.
The device is connected to a power adapter and is being recharged.
Check if you have inserted the flash drive into the main “LOCAL“ unit. Your test results will only be saved in the main unit and data transfer is only possible from the main unit.
Once the Local and the Remote units are connected, the display of memory size will be synchronized and both units will display the same, correct value.
The device is connected to a power adapter and is being recharged.
The device is switched on and ready for testing.
The device is switched on/ready for testing and is being recharged.
Yes, this is possible from software version 4.7. An instruction on this providing an example can be obtained from our technical support.
Unfortunately, the sticker (ON/OFF) was accidentally reversed on some talksets, so these talksets will only work in the “OFF“ position.
Follow the steps below to use the talkset feature:
1. Connect the included talkset headphones via the jack plug to the Local and Remote units.
2. Make sure that the Local and Remote units are connected with each other and the red talkset icon is displayed in the top bar of the units.
3. Check the volume settings and that the headsets are also activated on the two units.
4. Touch the talkset icon in the top bar to connect the call. The units ring and after 3 seconds the call is picked up automatically. The talkset icon is green and a conversation is now possible.
5. To hang up touch the green talkset icon
TIP: If the icon is gray and the receiver is on-hook there is no connection between the Local and Remote units. It is not possible to make a conversation. Check the connection and insert the adapter once more.
This port currently serves to synchronize the units in AXT (Alien Crosstalk) measurements. When connecting two Local units, it is possible to coordinate the test sequence. Further features may possibly be added in future firmware versions.
By default the WireXpert comes with two adapter types to meet the requirements of Channel and Permanent Link measurements compliant for example with ISO/IEC 11801, CENELEC EN 50173-1, or EIA/TIA 568-C standards. Depending on which copper cabling you want to measure, you need the appropriate pair of adapters.
- Use the “CAT 6A Channel adapter“ with the RJ45 interface if you want to perform a Channel measurement.
Please bear in mind when performing a Channel test the patch cords are part of the tested cabling and have to stay in the cabling link after the measurement!
- Use the “CAT 6A Permanent Link adapter“ with the TERA interface if you want to perform a Permanent Link measurement.
Please bear in mind that in a Permanent Link test the patch cords are excluded from the measurement!
A set reference should be performed in the following situations:
- When exchanging the adapters
- In case of strongly varying ambient conditions
A set reference is conducted to compensate for the effects of ambient conditions in the Local and Remote units. External effects, as for instance ambient temperature, can affect measurement results, therefore a reference setting of the Local and Remote units is necessary. This will ensure maximum measurement accuracy of the WireXpert. Follow these steps:
1. A set reference depends on the adapter type used. Use the included CAT 6A Channel adapter or CAT 6A Link adapter for your measurement and proceed as follows.
2. Connect a CAT 6A Channel adapter and a CAT 6A Link adapter to the Local and Remote units. It does not matter which adapter is connected to which unit.
3. Connect the Local and Remote units via one of the included Permanent Link test cords.
Navigate to “TOOLS“ -> “Set Reference“ on the Local unit.
4. Start the reference setting. Wait until this procedure has been completed and an audible signal sounds, then you can continue and start your measurements.
Principally, this can be identified by the following features:
1. Broken connector latch (RJ45/TERA)
3. Strong blackening of the contacts or the screen
4. Broken connectors (RJ45/TERA)
5. „Contours“ of the RJ45 connectors at shield edges that are angular and sharp.
6. Highly varying measurement values
The utilization of worn-out test cords deteriorate the accuracy and reliability of a measurement! Make sure only to use intact cables. A missing latch on the RJ45 connector will reduce stability and contact pressure which also will affect test results.
TIP: Set up a reference link to verify the measurement values for reliability. In case of a variability of several dB, the device needs to be serviced (factory calibration, replacement of wear parts, etc.).
Yes, this is possible without any problem.
Make sure that you have selected the correct limit. The limit value of a higher Class cannot be reached with components of lower Categories and you will always get a fail result!
Another reason could be that the measurement adapters have not snapped in properly. There should be a clear clicking sound when placing the adapter. Remove the adapter and insert it once more.
Yes, in contrast to many other certifiers, the WireXpert can run tests and be recharged at the same time. You do not have to wait until the battery is fully recharged.
To localize cable faults proceed as follows:
1. Perform an autotest or a wiremap test from the TOOLS menu. The distance to the cable fault will be displayed for a short of two or more wires and for opens. Any reverses/miswires cannot be localized.
To localize frequency-dependent faults proceed as follows:
1. Perform an autotest.
2. Select the “Locator“ option
3. Select the desired Locator that matches the failed measurement parameter.
- The X-axis of the graph describes the length of the entire cabling link.
- The Y-axis of the graph describes the relative amplitude of the parameter at a certain place.
This allows to localize which component causes the failure of the certification. Shift the highlighted area as you wish to display the exact position.
None of the cabling testers or certifiers available in the market can do this. There is not any electrical measurement to localize this cable fault.