Fiber optic network component identification, fault detection, and distance to fault - made easy
Traditionally, copper communication cables have been utilized for short distances in industrial and enterprise applications. However, when it comes to meeting the demands for higher bandwidth, fiber optic cables are increasingly required even in these short haul applications. Furthermore, installation of optical fibers requires clean working conditions, correct procedures and a fair amount of knowledge, and is particularly challenging in short haul applications with tight space limitations. Cleanliness, in particular, plays an important role in the optical fibers themselves. According to a study by NTT Advanced Network Technology, dirty fiber end surfaces or connectors are responsible for up to 96 percent of network failures. The FiberXpert OTDR 5000 detects fiber network components, faults, distance to fault, and can be connected to an optical fiber microscope critical to checking and proving cleanliness of end surfaces.
FiberXpert OTDR 5000 - The Complete Solution
After a fiber optic cable installation, wouldn't it be nice to have an x-ray device that would allow you to see through walls and check bend radius, splices, breaks, and connectors? The FiberXpert uses optical time domain reflectometery to send a light pulse through the fiber and then measure the reflected signal profile to check bend radius, splices, breaks, and connectors. In fact, these components, fault types, and distance to fault are all graphically displayed on the FiberXpert. The FiberXpert optical time domain reflectometer is a complete solution with both multi-mode 850/1300 nm and single-mode 1310/1550 nm. For both multi-mode and single-mode fibers, the FiberXpert OTDR 5000 has a high dynamic range with event dead zone less than 80 cm for measuring and documenting short fiber links to global standards and for identifying faults.
The attenuation measurement and an optical power level analyzer allow you to precisely determine the link attenuation and measure the output of active network components. The automatic pass/fail analysis compares values against global TIA/IEC standards and limits. FiberXpert is compliant with Tier 2 Standards, meaning FiberXpert is compliant to Tier 1 Light Source and Power Meter (LSPM) and Tier 2 Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR). Furthermore, you will be able to address the source of most network failures by connecting the compatible fiber optic microscope via USB to easily and quickly check and document cleanliness of fiber ends and link end surfaces in accordance with IEC 61300-3-35.
PRO Launch Cords for FiberXpert
Launch cords reveal insertion loss and reflectance of the near-end connection. Softing has twelve optional launch cords covering SC, ST, and SC type connections in both multi-mode and single-mode. The ECO version is an economical version wound manually on a real. The PRO version is automatically wound via a dog-leash style retractable device allowing convenient roll-out, coil up, and protection for your launch cord.
FiberXpert OTDR 5000 for multi-mode and single-mode 850/1300/1310/1550 nm
- Compliant to Tier 2 Standards of fiber optic cabling, which includes both Tier 1 Light Source Power Meter (LSPM) and Tier 2 Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR)
- Automatic Pass/Fail analysis of the test results compared to limits specified by TIA/IEC
- Graphical display of OTDR trace provides on-screen images and read-out of distance between connectors, splices, and end of cable using reflection and attenuation analysis
- All fiber link events and analysis conveniently listed in a table of results
- Automatic macro-bend detection; increasingly important as installation space gets tighter
- Built-in optical loss test set to help you formally accept end-to-end loss specifications
- Optional high precision fiber inspection probe for detecting dirty and damaged connectors
- Large color LCD touch screen, and hands-free neck strap
- Generate professional reports with Softing's included eXport software; FiberXpert and WireXpert integrated to one reporting software platform
- FiberXpert helps you ensure the highest quality installation and fiber optic performance of cable, connectors, and splices in new fiber links
- The automated pass/fail detection and graphical indication saves time analyzing and provides an intuitive measurement results display
- Rugged housing, protective rubber boot, convenient hands-free harness is ideal for construction sites
- Reduce maintenance costs and increase flexibility due to interchangeable optical connectors on the measurement module
- Improved workflow driving best practices to IEC standards
Multimode and Quad OTDR Modules (typical at 25°C)
- FiberXpert OTDR 5000 handheld device
- Soft case including shoulder strap
- Power adapter
- Hard carrying case
- Quick start guide
- CD with documentation
The touchscreen requires a new calibration. Go to the settings menu of the FiberXpert and start calibration.
This could result in data loss if the USB flash drive is being accessed at this very moment. Please make sure always to use the ‚Remove USB device‘ function before removing a USB stick.